[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's brain

  • From: "swmaerske" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:44:07 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "blroadies" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "swmaerske" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > ...Dennett offers a very satisfactory model
> > of how consciousness can be explained...
>
> meaning, how consciousness arises.

Yes.

> The starting assumption is that at
> the beginning there was mindless matter and later this matter configured
> in a certain way to make mind.

Yes.

> Hence, mind is not a new substance, nor a
> thing, but what the brain does.

Yes.

> > ... in terms of physical functions without presuming
> > any magic or mystery or dualistic extras in the universe.
>
> If we substitute "brain" for person, then we can avoid the dualistic
> extras.

No. Persons don't cause or produce consciousness (conscious minds, the
subjectivity of experience, etc.). Brains do. But persons are part of what we
get when we have minds (a mental life).

> But why did our brains starting talking about persons and
> consciousness?

Brains don't talk, persons do. But persons without brains don't, anymore than
persons without the physical equipment necessary for talking do.

> That devilish brain.

Here you just lapse into silliness.

> Dennett has set us straight.

No, because it is not Dennett's contribution to say brains cause minds. He
merely offers a way to understand what we mean by "mind" or "consciousness"
which allows us to see how brains could do it without presuming anything extra
is somehow imported into the world for it to happen. He explains brains and
their relations to mind in a way that is in accord with an ordinary, down to
earth scientific perspective on this (in keeping with contemporary scientific
ideas).

> He took
> a close look at at himself and realized he was only a brain making
> sounds.
>
> bruce

????

SWM