[witchesofsm] Nickelodeon to Air Gay Parent Special

  • From: Sunny Simmons <amarisse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: witchesofsm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:43:10 -0400

Thought you guys might be interested in this... kudos to Nickelodeon!

Sunny

Nickelodeon to Air Gay Parent Special
Written by: David Bauder
(AP) Linda Ellerbee, back center black shirt, sits with Rosie O'Donnell and
is joined by a group of kids...

Full Image
NEW YORK (AP) - Despite a staggering 100,000 e-mails and phone calls in
protest, Nickelodeon will telecast a special for children about same-sex
parents on Tuesday night.
The half-hour report, produced by Linda Ellerbee and featuring Rosie
O'Donnell, includes comments from the Rev. Jerry Falwell - who later joined
conservative activists in urging Nickelodeon not to air it.
The Washington-based Traditional Values Coalition has spearheaded the
campaign against "Nick News Special Edition: My Family is Different," sight
unseen. There were so many e-mails Nickelodeon had to set up a separate
address to avoid a computer crash.
"It is a cover for promoting homosexuality for kids," said Andrea Lafferty,
the coalition's executive director.
Nickelodeon said that's not so. Ellerbee, in the show's introduction, says,
"The following program is about tolerance ... It is not about sex. It does
not tell you what to think."
Ellerbee, who won a Peabody Award for a Nickelodeon special that delicately
dissected the Monica Lewinsky scandal for children, said she conceived of
this show upon reading that the word "fag" had become the most common
schoolyard epithet.
O'Donnell's public acknowledgement that she is a lesbian put the subject in
the news, Ellerbee said.
The program, which airs at 9 p.m. EDT, is largely a discussion. Although it
also features a gay school principal and a gay New York City firefighter who
is a father of three, children are the focus.
Some children with gay parents talk about feeling uncomfortable about what
other kids say in school. Other children discuss their objection to
homosexuality.
"It is never a wrong time to talk about hate," Ellerbee said. "It's just
not. That's all our show is about. It is not in any way about the homosexual
lifestyle. It's not even introducing the subject to most kids. They know.
But quite frankly, many of them know it from a hate standpoint without even
knowing what they're talking about."
But Lafferty said, "They keep saying it is not about sexuality. It is about
sexuality."
Parents are upset because many thought they never had to worry about
Nickelodeon's content, she said.
"They have been led to believe that Nick is a safe harbor," she said. "Now
they've been exposed. The skirt has been lifted and Nick has been exposed."
Lafferty was asked by Nickelodeon if the Traditional Values Coalition would
recommend children to be included in the special. She refused.
Falwell agreed to be interviewed, however, and is quoted expressing his
opposition to homosexuality on Christian grounds. He also said it's
important to respect other points of view and not react with violence.
He said later, in an interview with The Associated Press, that he is sorry
Nickelodeon feels the need to "indoctrinate" children on homosexuality.
"Nickelodeon should stay away from endorsing lifestyles that are generally
not accepted by the American public," Falwell said. "It turns a children's
network into something parents feel a responsibility to edit and carefully
filter."
Asked how he reconciled his participation in the show with a call not to air
it, Falwell said, "I've often said I would preach in hell if they promised
to let me out."
Ellerbee said she was disappointed by Falwell's later comments.
Most of Ellerbee's Nick News programs air at 8:30 p.m. This show has been
pushed back a half hour - to a time when the network usually runs old
sitcoms - because of its sensitivity, said Herb Scannell, Nickelodeon's
chief executive.
Lafferty claimed advertisers wouldn't touch the show; Scannell said the plan
was always to be commercial-free. Some other Ellerbee shows, including the
Clinton discussion and one about AIDS, also contained no ads.
Scannell said he had no hesitation about airing the special.
"I thought it was in a territory that we've been before, in terms of looking
at the world from a kid's point of view," he said.
"The whole philosophy of Nick is that it's tough to be a kid in an adult
world."

*~*~*~*~*~* Namaste!! *~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~ Visit me on the Web!! ~*~*~*~ http://www.amarisse.net amarisse@xxxxxxxxxxxx *~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*