[wisb] upbeat MSOE skyway story

  • From: "David, Karl H." <david@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:17:15 -0500

I try not to post too much about the window strikes at the Milwaukee
School of Engineering skyway, because it's depressing, but today's
anecdote is uplifting. I walked under it at 8:00 this morning on my way
to administer an exam when I saw a thrush sitting on the ground,
stunned. I picked it up and found its squawking an encouraging sign that
it at least wasn't moribund. I took it to class and, having only one
hand free, I had one of the students distribute the exam.

After everyone got started, I went back out and placed the thrush under
a bush to hide it from predators. It was a Gray-cheeked Thrush, by the
way. I didn't make a serious effort to see if it might have been
Bicknell's, not having any advanced enough guides with me anyway. But
certainly, with bird in hand, that would have been the opportunity.

I returned half an hour later to see if the bird had left, and to my
dismay a window washer was hosing down windows in the exact spot where I
had left the thrush! What dumb luck! I had visions of the poor bird,
that had had one near-death experience already, ignominiously drowning
in a torrent of water and soapy suds. When the window washer asked me
what I was looking for, he said he had in fact noticed a bird come out
of the shrubbery at his approach and fly off. It had to be the thrush,
it had to be! Hooray!

Karl David, Milwaukee