[wisb] snowy owl update-sad news

  • From: Joan Sommer <jsommer2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:34:38 -0600

Hello,

I received an email this afternoon (Thanks Andrew H.) letting me know that the
snowy owl apparently died last night or early this morning.

The farmer found the bird when he went out this morning. He showed the bird to
Andrew and Andrew said it was apparent the bird likely starved to death. No
bulk to it at all.

Apparently, at least some of these immature birds are in poor condition as they
arrive and/or may be so inexperienced at hunting that they are unable to feed
themselves. Really ironic when we have heard what a great lemming year it was
in the north.

I have a call in to Mike and Lori to see if they have disposed of the bird. I
will check with Riveredge and Schlitz to see if either organization would like
it for mounting if it hasn't been disposed of yet.

Just wanted to let people know.

Joan Sommer
Fredonia
N. Ozaukee County