[wisb] Re: raptor ID

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jbahls@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 00:41:13 -0500

Jeff,
Nice shots of a gorgeous Red-shouldered Hawk!  The black-and-white barred
tail lead towards either Broad-winged Hawk or Red-shouldered Hawk. After
looking at the in-flight shot of this bird, the white panels on the wing are
very notable:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2187781760046034075ccEoVu

Red-shouldered Hawks have this marking, whereas Broad-winged Hawks will not.
Another field mark to confirm Red-shouldered Hawk can be found on your
photo:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2652979720046034075ntJqZM

Note the secondaries, which are the slightly inner-section of the wing, just
aside the tail in the photo. They are black, with fine pale markings
throughout the feathers. Seeing a Broad-winged Hawk from this angle would
result in seeing secondaries that are completely dark, without any pale
markings. If anyone has anything else to add about special ID marks on this
bird, please share. I'm still new to Red-shouldered Hawks.

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke

Waukesha, WI
NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided bird hikes
www.pbase.com/birdfedr
birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx