[wisb] miscellaneous morning sightings - Madison, Dane Co

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 10:13:08 -0500

Hey all-
Poked around Shoveler Sink today, west of Middleton. There were very few
ducks, but I was treated to a massive flight of robins starting at sunrise.
The birds were not in a tight flock, but very loosely spread out, moving
around 30-40 individuals every 10-15 seconds evenly across the arc of the
sky. I estimated upwards of 3000 individuals.

Driving back, near Svoboda Rd, I saw two Cackling Geese flying with a large
flock of Canada Geese.

University Bay had about 50 Bufflehead, many coots, 4 Redhead, a pair of
shovelers, and a single Common Loon. No other divers that I could see.

And finally, Bascom Hill has persistently had a number of Yellow-rumped
Warblers feeding in the trees near the Education building over the past few
weeks. I think this area must be sheltered well or something. Anyway, there
were about 10 present today.

Jesse

--
Jesse Ellis