[wisb] lasrt weeks quick trip to the E Coast

  • From: "Seegert, Greg" <gseegert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 21:36:02 -0500

All
Last Wednesday morning, I had a meeting in DC with EPA.  After the meeting, I
picked up a rental car at the airport and drove to the Eastern Shore of MD/VA.
It was nearly dark by the time I got to Indian R Inlet about 10 mi N of Ocean
City, MD.  Typically several purple sandpipers overwinter on the jetty but all
I could find were sanderlings and dunlin.  The next morning, I birded  the
large salt marsh along Rt 175 just W of Chincoteague, VA.  It was raining and
moderately windy.  I found several A. oystercatchers and a flock of about 50
brant.   After it got a little lighter, I went to Chincoteague NWR.  My target
here was brown-headed nuthatch but I found nary a one. Birds of some interest
in the refuge were hundreds of white ibis, a few L. blue herons, and quite a
few boat-tailed grackles.  As I headed to my next stop (Saxis Marsh just E of
Saxis, VA),  the weather got much worse.  The rain became heavy and the wind
grew to gale force levels.  Saxis Marsh is a world class spot for saltmarsh
sparrow and seaside sparrow but with the steady rain and fierce winds I found
neither.  In one of the woody hammocks in the marsh I ran across hundreds of
yellow-rumped warblers that had one Carolina chickadee mixed in, which was year
bird.  I headed to Ocean City, MD but had nothing at the jettys there.  Back at
Indian R Inlet, the waves were crashing over the jetty and there were no
shorebirds.  Despite the wind and rain, I scoped offshore for a while and saw
one N gannet, several  flocks of dark-winged scoters, and one
pomarine/parasitic jaeger.  After about 20 min, both myself and my scope were
thoroughly soaked, so I called it a day and headed back to catch my evening
flight out of National.

So my advice is don't bird along the Eastern Shore during a gale.  Anyway,
that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Greg Seegert
Deerfield, IL