[wisb] important sighting !! Almost an alert...

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 23:07:15 -0700 (PDT)

        Hi everyone  ---  Too bad I couldn't get this out earlier today, but
what I had near Menominee Park beach today was uncanny  ---- 6  larid sps. and
! of them was another record.  Close to 80 or  so COMMON TERNS.  I had a tough
time trying to find a Forster, but then I found a silver lining amongst all the
gray. Literally. I figured Daryl Tessen should've been here to try and find an
Arctic.  Well I would know what to look for but, to pin one out quickly
would've been a challenge.  After 10 minutes of searching the crowd I found 2
Forster's. The other tern seen was Caspian.  The other 3 larids were Ringbill,
Herring and Bonaparte's. Gulls.  I was in real good position to examine them
closely but nothing odd resembling that species. It was unreal.  Those 2 terns
rose my number to 102 sps. for the month, 100 was wild.  Yesterday as I was
scoping around the Sawyer Creek area of town I was saying to myself, '' OK,
where's 100?"
 and just seconds after saying so a BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON flew from the
trees in front of me.
       Have to get to bed,
      Paul Bruce,  Oshkosh
      Winnebago Co.