[wisb] data for the Milwaukee River Greenway

  • From: Paul Hunter <phunter1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 07:49:42 -0500

Wisconsin Birders,

See the message below from Gary Casper.  His group is collecting bird
sighting along the Milwaukee River in preparation for conservation
efforts there.  As I understand it they need breeding bird info
(sightings in June) especially from Lincoln Park.

--- Paul Hunter
Whitefish Bay, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
  http://home.roadrunner.com/~phunter1/lakeparkbirds.html
---
Warbler Walks at Lake Park, - Saturdays, 8:30 to 10:00 AM
Spring 2012: April 21, April 28, May 5, May 12, May 19, May 26
Meet on the WEST side of the Warming House near the tennis courts on
the north end of the park.

Begin forwarded message:

From: gc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: May 4, 2012 7:37:42 AM CDT
To: "Paul Hunter" <phunter1@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ann Brummitt" <ann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Gary Casper'"
<gc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Stef Nadeau'" <nadeau.consulting@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: WBN data for the Milwaukee River Greenway

Hi Paul:

Could you just post the following text?  As noted, all we
need are date, species, place and observer, with GPS coordinates and
digital photos where possible.  I am also still seeking one or two
experts
to do formal breeding bird point counts in June, if you know anyone.
For
those we can pay.

------------
GREENWAY BIRD DATA WANTED: The Milwaukee River Greenway is a six mile
section of the Milwaukee River that has experienced a remarkable
turnaround since the removal of the North Ave Dam in 1997.  Urban
dwellers
and wildlife alike have returned to this resilient shoreline as water
quality has improved and more and more citizens have recognized the
river’s value.  The Milwaukee River Greenway Coalition is working
with the
City and County of Milwaukee, Glendale and Shorewood to protect and
improve 878 acres of urban wilderness in the heart of the City.
Protective ordinances have been passed in Shorewood and Milwaukee, and a
Master Plan for the River was released.  The plan prioritized a habitat
plan for the restoration and preservation of the natural resources in
the
Greenway.  We are seeking citizen help to implement that plan.

The first step in a Greenway Habitat Plan is a basic inventory of
what is
there.  We therefore are collecting observations of plants and animals.
Observations can be emailed directly to Stef Nadeau
(nadeau.consulting@xxxxxxxxx), who can also provide data forms and a
Greenway map on request.  The basic information needed is: date,
species,
place and observer.  We prefer GPS coordinates and digital photos where
possible, and any notes on abundance or habitat.

Target Species - birds (especially breeding birds in June), mammals
(including bats), snakes, turtles, frogs, salamanders, fish, spring
flowers, uncommon trees and shrubs and other plants, invasive plants,
fungi, lichens, mussels, insects (including dragonflies, butterflies and
moths).