[wisb] bird behavior

  • From: Hilary Ford <khilaryf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 20:08:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,
With windows open after the long winter and feeders, nectar bottles, jelly
holders full it has been fun watching and listening for what happens in the
avian world.
I had never seen Indigo Buntings sipping nectar and slurping jelly before this
spring, which was and is overly cold!
Hummingbirds have been very aggressive to each other and yesterday one small
one was sipping and sitting on the nectar feeder when another male pounced on
it and held onto its beak sort of stretching and bending its head backwards
until they both fell off the feeder onto the deck.  I then went outside as the
aggressor was still fighting, and it flew away leaving the other seemingly
immobile on the floor.  As I neared and instinctively reached for it it flew
away, but later I found it on the other feeder the other side of the house, and
it had trouble clinging to it and fell down to the ground.  However it righted
itself and flew up again, clung on and had a long drink, but I wonder whether
the aggression will continue in their worlds!
Grackles I now know make a strange vocalization when Crows appear and alert the
whole neighborhood that they are extremely unhappy about the nest-egg stealer
being around, flying at the larger bird and chasing it, joined by others like
the Orioles and Chickadees!
Bobolinks have been found in a large field on Old Stage Road north of Wildwood
Road.  At least maybe that field will not be mown just yet - lots of others
sadly are.
Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay, Door County