[wisb] Yellow-breasted Chat? Buffalo County

  • From: Marcie O'Connor <marcie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 09:56:20 -0500

I saw a bird this morning that I think might be a Yellow-breasted Chat.  I've
never seen one before, and since it's an unusual bird, I thought I would ask
you folks if you agree.

It was in a thicket of Dogwood shrubs at the edge of our wetland.  It had a
very varied song - some loud clear, whistles, and some chatty warbles.  It
sounds pretty similar to the song on the Cornell All About Birds Page
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow-breasted_Chat/sounds

I saw it, and watched it sing, but it was partly hidden by branches, so I
didn't get a great look.  It had a dark back, dark head with a dark stripe
through the eyes, and lighter areas around the stripe.  The breast was bright
yellow.  Bill was fairly thick, and dark.  I think it was about the size of a
Catbird.  My husband saw it fly and he got the impression of a fairly long
tail.

Marcie O'Connor
rural Buffalo County####################