[wisb] Wyalusing expecteds, Russel Hill

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:33:45 -0500

Hey all-
My whip-poor-will surveys went great last night, with totally clear weather.
- had quite a few whip-poor-wills in western Crawford Co. North Andover was
a bust, though, with only a few baby Great Horned Owls to show.

Wyalusing in the mid-morning was great though (I missed dawn chorus
recovering).

There are many Cerulean Warblers, many Acadians (seriously, I stopped 7-8
times on the way down the boat launch road and had a few birds at every
stop), several Kentuckys, and I had at least two separate Yellow-throated
Warblers. One was at the start of Turkey Hollow trail near the south picnic
area, and one was near the pines on the boat launch rd, but back up the
slope a bit. At the latter place I had what I wanted to be a Worm-eating
Warbler, but I am not at all confident on this. I think people should keep
their eyes open at Wyalusing for these birds, though, given previous
sightings and the steep habitat.

The Bell's Vireo was at the entrance rd near the black walnut grove. I
checked three times for this bird (once yesterday and twice today) and only
had it midday today.

Another highlight was checking out a place called Russel Hill, off Crawford
Co. Rd C. This is a huge swath of prairie/hayfield that the DNR seems to
keep mowed. Had a few Grasshopper Sparrows here, and another Henslow's.
Picking up Vesper Sparrow and Lark Sparrow near Blue River put me to nine
species of sparrow for the day, pretty good for summer.

Also, there are Yellow-billed Cuckoos all over in Grant and Crawford Cos.

Thanks for the updates from a number of people on recent sightings in
Wyalusing. It's a great teaser to get me out to do those whip surveys.

Good birding,
Jesse

--
Jesse Ellis