[wisb] Woodcock

  • From: "K. Hilary Ford" <khilaryf32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:09:03 -0500

Hello All,
It has been quite exciting around Cottage Glen as one or more of these
birds have been "peenting" early morning and dusk the past several days,
just outside our Condo deck that looks over the small prairie that was
established over the 5 acre septic system.  Due to the fine weather this
has been mowed down this month so the grasses are quite short.  Another
resident met me there last evening, and she had just followed the bird
walking down the road to the prairie and then flying across to start its
display.  By then it had got too dark to see where it was, but I finally
found it with binoculars, and could just make it out turning every which
way while "peenting" and then taking off in flight to another area to do
the same.  It was doing it again this morning and again I watched as best I
could in the dim light.  Great to have it so close, and hoping it will soon
find a mate.
Other FOY birds this week have been Y.S. Flicker, 2 Fox Sparrows and a Song
Sparrow, Purple and House Finches, and a very dark Merlin who took off from
near the feeders today.  EABL's have been heard in the area, but due to a
nasty virus I have not got out to explore more early arrivals.

Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay, Door CO.