[wisb] Wisconsin Point Today

  • From: Mike Hendrickson <mikehendrickson46@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:29:32 -0500

I was out birding with Peder Svingen and Robbye Johnson at Wisconsin Point.
Robbye saw 4 first cycle Thayer's Gulls earlier this morning at parking lot
1 so we decided to see if we could relocate them and sure enough after
tossing some bread all 4 Thayer's Gulls appeared on the beach in front of us
allowing us to photograph them.  2 of them were moderate plumage, one of the
birds were very dark and the other was on the lighter side.
Other birds seen at the point were some Bonaparte Gulls (8)

The winds were gusty from the NW and hopefully with these winds they will
push more northern gulls down into Lake Superior.

No jaegers have been located at Wisconsin Point slightly over a week now.
This is the time Pomarine Jaegers begin to show up and with these winds
maybe tomorrow will be a day we will find a adult Pomarine Jaeger.

Good Birding

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, MN
Across the bridge from Superior, WI.