[wisb] White-winged Crossbills

  • From: Thomas Schaefer <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 19:26:59 -0500

Have been observing crossbills at home since April 1st, when 2 birds were seen.
 Since that time I've seen flocks of up to 47- today had a flock of 32.
Initially these birds favored the many Fraser fir growing here and the abundant
cone crop.  Recently they've been seen eating Red Oak flowers and today they
were getting something in a Green Ash.  The larger flocks contain both sexes
and all manner of plumages- and the juveniles are what I wonder about.
Could/would/DID these birds breed in this part of the state?  How long is the
juvenal plumage held?  Pretty cool to walk through the plantation and hear
calls AND songs in Hartford on May 9th!

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County####################