[wisb] Re: What else sounds like... Menominee Co.

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:10:16 -0500

I have on occasion heard a Northern Waterthrush and thought Connecticut
Warbler. Both have loud, rather choppy songs and I am not very good at
sound identification, being able to identify probably only a bit better than
50% of the birds I hear. Also, when you are hoping for something like a
Connecticut
Warbler, any similar song probably makes the sought after species jump into
your head. In your case, Connecticut Warbler would be the least likely
species
you would hear in April or early May since they are late migrants. Besides,
you probably know both species well and wouldn't have to think about what
you were hearing, anyway.
Some species lend themselves well to song description. Whip-poor-will ,
Chuck-will's-widow, Yellow Rail, The Empidonax flycatcher complex, etc. But
how would you document the song of a goldfinch, House Finch, or a Winter
Wren? Those would be too complex for me to even attempt.
I guess the best one can do when attempting a description of a song would be
to describe the general nature of the song (trill, phrases, buzzy sounds,
whistles, grunts,etc), then describe how many syllables you hear and which
syllable has the strongest emphasis, if there is variation. Does the song
rise in pitch or fall in pitch? Is it delivered rapidly (Prairie Warbler) or
slowly (like Red-eyed Vireo)? High frequency (Cape May Warbler) or lower
(Mourning Warbler).
I use mnemonic devices (Fitz-bew for Willow Flycatcher) to remember some
songs and these would probably be helpful to a records committee in getting
a feel for what you heard, even though everybody probably uses different
ones.
I hope you can come up with something to document your Northern Waterthrush
because it would add to the remarkable early occurrence data that has
characterized this spring. I think that in the "previous experience with
species..." section you should probably note that the location was a known
location for
the species last year.

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County