[wisb] Western Grebe, others in Sheboygan/Sheboygan County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 16:53:36 -0600

It was fortunate that the lake was calm this afternoon, because even with
the scope it was difficult to spot this bird which was over a quarter mile
out. When I left at 2:40 P.M., it could be seen nearly directly out from the
second small jetty just south of North Point Park. And since somebody is
bound to ask, yes, I did see the black from the crown extending down below
the eye and there was no white showing on the flanks above the waterline, so
it was not a Clark's Grebe.
Other interesting birds seen were a Common Loon on the water, a presumed
Common Loon flying south, 3 Horned Grebes, 4 beautiful male Long-tailed
Ducks on the water well within scoping distance, a flyover adult Bald Eagle,
and a couple of distant but identifiable Bonaparte's Gulls. The Dunlin that
has been lingering was joined by a friend today. Unfortunately, it was not a
Purple Sandpiper, just another Dunlin. They were feeding in the pools on the
rocky point.
Off subject line, I did stop at Manitowoc again this morning and tried to
cover more of the areas I missed yesterday, hoping to see the Purple
Sandpiper. I did not see it. Another birder probably had the best plan. He
said he was going to stick around until after 2 P.M. when Chuck comes out to
do his daily birding, and ask him where he saw that elusive sandpiper!
While in Manitowoc, Stuart Malcom spotted a blue-phase Snow Goose overhead.
Later I worked a bit north and saw a total of 4 in the huge goose flock. We
also saw a couple of Long-tailed Ducks close to the impoundment.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County