[wisb] Re: Western Grebe, Sheboygan Marina - late post from Georgia birder

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <paul.gloyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 23:45:40 -0600

Paul,
You asked if both were fairly uncommon around here.  Unfortunately, that's the
problem and why every grebe here is scrutinized.  Both are rare. However, it
would be more fitting to say that Western is rare, but regular enough that I'm
not sure if it's still a review species or not.  Clark's is unrecorded in the
state and would constitute a first state record, so we're always on the
lookout.
Therefore, all Western/Clark's Grebes are assumed to be Western unless proved
otherwise.  We have yet to prove otherwise....

I think your new photos though, fairly clearly show a winter Western Grebe
which is expected on the lakefront.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)