[wisb] Watertown-greater white-fronted goose

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:48:37 -0500

Was in Watertown so took a drive along river by Bethesda. There were
hundreds of Canada geese, dozens of mallards, several sanhill cranes,
several ring-billed gulls, 1 herring gull and the 1 lone greater
white-fronted goose. It was standing on a rock in the river about 40 yards
so got great look at entire bird. It was facing the sun and it's white
patch around bill was just shining. Beautiful sight. Then as I had it in
the bins the ducks and geese started erupting, something spooked them. It
was a deer, came out of the brush on the opposite shore and splashed
through the river and across the Bethesda lawn. There was a lot of
splashing and flapping but none really took off. But it made the
g.w.fronted goose turn toward me and gave a great look of the barring on
the underparts. Very enjoyable encounter. Also had a fox sparrow at home
early this a.m.
Dave Schrab
Hustisford WI
Dodge Co