[wisb] Waterloo W.A. (Jefferson Co.) - aka "Juncorama"

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:51:41 -0500

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the Waterloo Wildlife Area off Hwy
89 a few miles north of Lake Mills.  Hiked into the conifer plantation and had
the usual Chickadees, RB Nuthatches, Song Sparrows etc.  As I went farther in,
I started hearing an awful lot of twittering.  Eventually, I started to flush
DE Juncos by the dozens near the edge of the spruces, along with scattered Fox
Sparrows, Pine Siskins and other birds.  The Juncos were all singing, and the
sound was amazing.  It was hard to get an accurate count, but there were easily
over 100 - most I've ever seen in one location, surpassing even the largest
flocks I've ever had on CBCs.  Some of the Fox Sparrows were also singing,
which always throws me, since I'm not used to hearing them sing.  There was a
Cooper's Hawk flying around calling occasionally, too.  Thought maybe I heard
an Eastern Towhee call a few times, but it wasn't a "standard" call and I
wasn't sure.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.