[wisb] Wangsness, Harvey, Schoenburg marsh shorebirds

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 20:42:01 -0500

Hey all-
Got pulled in by the report of Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Avocet, both of
which would be new for the state for me...

Wangsness road at about 5pm was great, except for light. A harrier promptly
flushed everything just as I arrived off the west post on Harvey road. First
bird I got on was the avocet, which crossed the road. I then headed to look
for the Buff-breasteds. There were none on the dry west part of the Wangness
pond, just killdeer. I got down to the dike area (where the Harvey pond
comes up to Wangness) and realized there were shorebirds along the shore
there as well. I soon picked out one BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER. After about 3
minutes a lesserlegs spooked it, and I lost track of it flying, and never
found it again.

Between Wangsness and Harvey I had:

Killdeer
Semipalmated Plover
Spotted Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Greater Yellowlegs
Buff-breasted Sandpiper
American Avocet
Least Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper (4 on the wet end of the Wangsness pond, right in front of
the house area)
Stilt Sandpiper (like Alex said, quite a few - neat to watch them).

There were also about 30 Ruddy Ducks on the east end of the Harvey road
pond, visible from Wangsness.

Then I headed up Harvey toward the Schoenburg March (I may be getting that
name wrong - no map in front of me, but it's 4-5 miles north of CR DM on
Harvey).

At a small pond south of where the preserve actually it (about .5 mi south)
is a depression in a field with a fair amount of water, which may also be
worth checking (haven't seen posts on it).
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=43.331796,-89.302282&spn=0.043141,0.072184&t=h&z=14&msid=114435331364792167189.0004736b8292ac0e5ad63

Here I had mostly Leasts, some lesserlegs, Killdeer, Semi Plover, but also
picked up a WILSON'S SNIPE.

Then I checked out Goose Pond. Mostly Lesser Yellowlegs here, some Greaters,
but I heard and then spotted 3 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS flying away, and then
found a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER from Kampen Road on the east part of Goose
Pond.

Not bad.

Except I've never seen a Whooping Crane, and keep missing posts and
directions. Can anyone advise? I must have driven right past them.

Jesse

--
Jesse Ellis
Madison, Dane Co, WI