[wisb] Vilas County Weekend Bird Report

  • From: Marge Anderson <manderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:06:57 -0500

This weekend in Vilas County, we were innundated by Magnolia and Yellow-Rumped
Warblers, stuffing their gobs with bugs. In their mixed flock were also a few
Black-and-White warblers, a Yellow-Throated Vireo, and a few Nashville warblers.
We also had several querelous Hairy woodpeckers, one Downy, and two immature
Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers - one of whom was hawking for insects, so perhaps it
hasn't read the manual about being a Sapsucker yet.

Female/immature hummingbirds and our Kingfisher were still hanging around (male
hummingbirds seem to have left).  Our small lake was loaded with molt feathers
from Hooded Mergansers who summered there; they seem to have left, though.

I was filling the bird bath when a gang of Chickadees and a humming bird lined
up to go through the running water, one by one.  Nothing like being roped into
cabin boy service.

Marge Anderson, Dane (and Vilas) County