[wisb] Vernon Marsh - Waukesha Co.

  • From: Thomas Mertins <tom_mertins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

There are abundant shorebirds out on Greenwing Dike.  I would guess we are
talking about 400+.  75% are either "peeps" or Killdeer but the other 100 are
much more interesting.  You can spend a lot of time trying to determine if it's
a Lesser Yellowlegs or a Stilt when you mix in winter plumage.  The best way
for me is watching feeding behavior.  The Stilts think they're Dowitchers.
Both Stilt and Lesser YL were present in numbers with more Stilts (I think)
than Yellowlegs.  No Greater Yelowlegs however (or Dowitchers for that matter).
      After struggling with those two you can frustrate yourself with Bairds
and Pectorals, especially when you mix in winter plumage, juvies, and the fact
that they don't easily show their leg color. (They have this nasty habit of
standing in water.)  Both were present in numbers.
     The best sighting of the morning was at least 3 American Golden Plovers,
and one Semi-palmated Plover. The Goldens made the trip worth the effort.
Altogether 9 species of Shorebirds and 21 overall (duckies, herons,
and songbirds)  on the dike.
     The good news is that the birds are close to the dike and not easily
scared off (by me anyway).  A spotting scope is preferred but your binoculars
will do nicely.  The bad news is you have to hike 3/4 mile from the parking lot
to the bird concentration, although it is a level, easy walk.  There are no
birds in that first 3/4 mile.
     I also walked the Figure 8 Dike.   The first lagoon has water and there
were a pair of Merlins in the dead trees.  The second lagoon, which was
previously good, is dried up and there was nothing there.  The Figure 8 dike
system closes on Thursday for 3 months.

Tom Mertins
Mukwonago