[wisb] Re: Vernon Marsh - Mukwonago

  • From: korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 15:42:31 +0000

This is a cooperative feeding behavior. They all drop their heads under at the
same time and surround and corral the fish. I have seen underwater video of
this. Pretty amazing.
Mark Korducki, New Berlin

From: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: wisbirdn-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 11:10:20
To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Vernon Marsh - Mukwonago

Thursday afternoon, I decided to stop by Vernon Marsh near Mukwonago to see
whether there were many birds to enjoy.  I entered the area off County Hwy NN,
just west of the RR tracks.

I was delighted to see dozens of American White Pelicans, and small quantities
of Great Egrets, Sandhill Cranes, and Great Blue Herons.  There is also a lone
Tundra Swan (I beleive) in the same area I saw it late in the spring.

All of the aforementioned birs were at the south end of the area, on the west
side of the trail that crosses the marsh from north to south.  From the Norht
end off Frog Alley, it would be a long walk to the other side.  From the south
off Ct Hwy NN, it is about a 3/4 mile walk on a easily assessible trail albiet
the bugs were a tad annoying.  Small price to pay :-)

After watching the Pelicans, it was interesting to watch them.  For a brief
period, they would all bob around and drop their hesads into the water nearly
in unison.  Anybody know what that behavior is?  I'll try to post a brief video
of this a bit later.

Also, if I recall from an earlier posting, these are young Pelicans since they
lack the "bulb" on their bills and many had light gray plummage.

Lastly, I noticed that some of the Pelicans have a blue band, whereas others
appear unbanded altogether.

Here are links to some photos.  They are a bit hazy and I was shooting toward
the sun so the colors are a bit dull since I'm taking photos on their "shady"
side.

Pelicans and Egrets:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/5915703312/in/photostream
Pelican Landing & Egrets in background: