[wisb] Vernon Marsh

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:53:45 -0500

Jasonn Weber and I went to Vernon Marsh tonight.  He came down from NN to Frog
Alley Rd. and he had a lot of shorebirds but the light was bad for IDing them.
We then went over to the Figure 8 dikes and at first the big area on the left
is pretty much bone dry.  I'm not exactly sure where it's supposed to be best
but there are some dry mudflats where there were a ton of killdeer but not much
else.  Beyond that there were some shorebirds on the shore of the dikes but not
too much.  A Wilson's snipe and some peeps and solitary sandpipers.  One of the
peeps was yellow legged but it kind of sat down and started preening and made
itself at home so we were never sure about that one.  As the sun began to set
we didn't have too much more luck until we were walking back and I suddenly saw
something flying and pointed it out and it turned out to be an AVOCET.  It
walked along the shore, foraging I guess until it moved out of sight.  Not bad
for the last real find of the night and of course a lifer for me.  Did get some
distant photos, but I guess it's not even a review species if I'm reading the
list right.  Only other thing really of note was nighthawks here and there
flying over. -Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.