[wisb] Various Sites 5/12/10

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 20:34:04 -0500

I joined a group of birders at the Bay Beach Sanctuary for their Wed
walk.  While warblers were somewhat scarce we still ended with 18
species.  I am certain Ty/Ida will post more details.
Some of us went and enjoyed a Mockingbird in DePere along the Fox River.

B Pond (Calumet co) had 6 shorebird species (standard) plus 2 Am Pipits.

After seeing the post about the RN Phalarope at Schumacher Pond early
this afternoon, I decided to try for it.  When I arrived at the pond
I could not locate it.  Wilson's Phalaropes, plus other shorebirds
were mainly on the back side of the pond.  However after about 15-20
minutes I started moving back toward the northern end of the pond
where I was surprised to find the male Red-necked Phalarope swimming
just beyond the road.  I watched it for about 5 minutes, and then
scanned the rest of the pond again, discovering a breeding plumaged
Hudsonian Godwit about half way out feeding actively.  The phalarope
had disappeared but several minutes later it was back feeding near
the road.

The other ponds (DM/I, Goose and DM/Harvey) had limited shorebirds.
The most interesting were 10 SB Dowitchers (and 3 Caspian Terns) at
DM/I, a Sanderling at Goose, and 4 Black-bellied Plovers at DM/Harvey.

I stopped at Horicon Marsh along 49.  Both ibises were present, 2
Black-necked Stilts, the Whooping Crane and a Marbled Godwit (way
back).  With the water level continuing to drop between the pumphouse
and the info sign, many of the shorebirds are now feeding way back,
rather than close to the road as they were over the weekend.  However
this area remains most attractive for various birds and should be
monitored probably for the remainder of the month.

151species which included 18 warblers and 21 shorebirds.  However
there still are very few flycatchers, thrushes and vireos.

Despite the cool weather it was a fun day to be out enjoying the May
treats!
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI