[wisb] UW Arboretum, Madison, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:40:55 -0500

I started a bit later today because of the early morning rain but I really
liked birding in the overcast and I stayed dry the rest of the morning.

Highlights:

FOY - 4 Yellow-rumped Warblers feeding on insects in the Poplars and
European Alders near Icke Boardwalk.  They were not dressed out in their
usual spring colors of bright black, white and yellow but still were in
their drab fall plumage.  The feathers were well worn and they really looked
scruffy.  One of the YR's heads was almost devoid of feathers.  It made its
head look disproportionately small.  I saw another preening and within just
a few seconds I saw it pull out 3 feathers.  I assume they must be molting.
I did see yellow rumps on 2 of the 4. (I'm not counting the single YRWA that
stayed in the arb during the whole winter.)

FOY - 2 White-throated Sparrows.  I saw them in the southeast corner of the
arb near Pond 2.  Speaking of Pond 2 there were 6 Buffleheads on Pond 2.

FOY - 1 Swamp Sparrow on the east edge of Curtis Prairie.  (I actually saw
it yesterday too.)  I had to pish to make it appear today.

Off topic - The hardwoods are blooming providing a light green canopy for
both Gallistel and Wingra Woods.  I even saw medium sized leaves on one
maple.  The Redbuds are blooming.  A Garter Snake was on the trail in Wingra
Woods.  Instead of slithering speedily away as I approached, it struck at
me.  Three strikes and I was out of there.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson

Madison, Dane County