[wisb] Re: Two Thumbs Up for "The Big Year"!

  • From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:48:59 -0500

Saw "The Big Year" this afternoon.  My take?  Birding easily beats the
movie.

Although there were a few laughs, and although the film was mildly
entertaining and interesting for birders, I doubt that many folks other than
birders would derive much enjoyment from it.  There were three other people
in the theater when I was there; I don't think I heard any of them laugh.

In the end, I reacted to this comedy like I have to many others: it could
have been a whole lot better.  As I see it, each of the three primary actors
has had better efforts, and the storyline/dialogue/etc. was far from
creative.  Bottom line: too bad the movie doesn't present birding in a more
attractive way to those who might consider it.  Those of us who consider
ourselves birders absolutely love birding!

(On the other hand there were some bright spots, such as the whole Great
Gray Owl scene.  But what's with meadowlarks being listed with larks in the
final credits?)

Wayne Rohde - ready for some more birding
Walworth, WI