[wisb] Tundra Swans over Madison tonight

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 22:00:40 -0500

As I left the Southern Wisc. Butterfly Assn. meeting tonight shortly after
9:00, I heard what I thought sounded like Tundra Swans.  I stood in the parking
lot of the Warner Park Community Center for a couple of minutes, frantically
looking around the sky (fortunately, I don't think anyone saw me, since I'm
sure I looked fairly demented,) and had almost dismissed it as an auditory
malfunction, when I suddenly spotted a large flock of swans (50-60) headed
southeast.  This is a week or two earlier than I typically see my first "night
swans" of the season.  Along with the multitude of DE Juncos in my mom's yard
in Oshkosh last weekend, it's beginning to feel as though winter is inevitably
heading this way...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.