[wisb] Re: Too Many Christmas Bird Count Circles?

  • From: Mike Ramsden <mcramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxx>, wisbirdn wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:26:25 -0600

Andrea and all,

You bring up an interesting question.  To answer it would probably require some
objective for what is supposed to be the purpose of the CBC surveys.  Are they
mainly used in a scientific fashion to better monitor trends in bird
populations?  Do they lead more people to become environmentalists?  Are there
social benefits? etc.

If we are after scientific trends, I would argue that consistancy year to year
is probably better than having more thorough coverage.  Even diluted,
half-hearted coverage will be of some value if it is done the same way each
year.  And I would go as far as to say that even if one was able to count 99%
of all the birds in each circle, the coverage would still be diluted and spotty
given such a small sample area of the state.  And there are still all the
variables you can't control like the weather that make things even more diluted.

Don't get me wrong; I applaud the efforts of compilers like yourself whom are
striving to be as thorough as possible.  I agree with you that the more field
parties per circle, the better, and we should be looking at ways to increase
the participation.  I guess it is just the cynic in me that thinks it is
impossible to do a disservice to the results by having fewer circles.

Mike Ramsden
Beloit, WI