[wisb] Threats against birders in Sax-Zim Bog

  • From: sparky stensaas <sparkystensaas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MN Ornithologists <mou-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, WSO listserve WSO listserve <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 22:32:42 +0000

I just received a phone call from Hartley Nature Center in Duluth that a
resident of the Sax-Zim Bog was quite irate that birders are stopping on the
road in front of his place.

He demanded to know who was in charge of birders going to Sax-Zim area. He was
very threatening in his statements....And was very strange on the phone...and
swearing.

As most regular Sax-Zim birders know, this is the "Sniper of Stickney
Road"...the man who lives in the house on the west side of Stickney (CR207)
just south of CR52 (Arkola Rd).

He has spray painted his garage with the words "Trespassers You will be
Violated...U.S Marine Sniper Retired ...Danger Combat Marine"

I URGE ALL BIRDERS NOT TO STOP ALONG THE NORTH END OF STICKNEY ROAD
(CR207)....EVER.

I know this is a public road, but this guy is trouble (and probably troubled).

I am especially concerned because of the in-progress PHOTOTHON and this
weekend's BRRRRDATHON.

THE ST. LOUIS COUNTY SHERIFF HAS BEEN ALERTED.

I've only had one experience with this gentleman. I was in my DNR truck and he
stopped me to complain that someone was putting gypsy moth traps on his land. I
said I would look into it and then he was fine...even chatting about owls for a
minute. This leads me to believe that there is mental illness involved
(paranoid schizophrenia?)

Anyway the bottom line is to STAY CLEAR OF THE NORTH END OF STICKNEY...AND
DON'T AGGRAVATE THE SITUATION BY STOPPING ALONG "HIS STRETCH OF ROAD" OR
ARGUING WITH HIM.

Thanks!

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road