[wisb] Tern colony wiped out: Green lake co.

  • From: "Daryl & Sherry Christensen" <gr8fish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbird" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:16:38 -0500

Seems that Forster's terns nesting on Lake Puckaway can't catch a break. Last
season, there was a 100% loss in nests due to the June floods. This year, high
water levels from spring run-off delayed the nesting until late May when water
levels receded. Unfortunately, last week's 4 inches of rain increased water
levels by almost two feet completely flooding out the 37 nests with eggs and
chicks. Last week, I placed 10 nesting platforms in anticipation of the high
water, so 10 pairs are beginning to re-nest on the platforms. In addition to
the Forster's terns, one Common Tern nest was also lost. I saw both adults
loafing on Pancake Island this morning, but their nest site was several inches
under water.
Pelican nest sites were also under water and there seemed to be no alternative
nesting site this year as there was last year.
Other than the 10 nesting pairs of Forster's terns, I saw none of the pairs
that lost their nests and young, so assume they abandoned the site. Hopefully,
they will re-nest. Also saw two black terns fly over headed west and south
toward the Grand River Wildlife Area.
The remnant colony of Great-blue Herons, Great Egrets and Double-crested
Cormorants were doing fine with many chicks close to fledging.
-Daryl Christensen
Marquette co.

Daryl and/or Sherry Christensen
www.darylchristensen.com