[wisb] Re: Status of Certain Birds (No Sightings)

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "mikko.viljamaa@xxxxxxxxx" <mikko.viljamaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:20:06 -0600

If I recall right, that info is not on the WSO website.  The reason being that
countability is not governed by the state. It's done by the ABA.  You can print
a copy of the ABA checklist from their website.  Every species on it has been
given a number code. From 1 for the most common, to 5 for extinct/ uncountable
species. Anything from 1-4 is deemed countable.

Whooping crane is a special case in WI since there are two flocks. A wild flock
in Canada that migrates through the central plains, and a human-raised,
human-dependent, non-wild flock in WI.  The Canada birds are countable. The WI
birds are not and will not be for some time to come.

The official rules for countability can also be found on the ABA website.
Generally, the population must be established and self-sustaining to be
considered countable.

--Chris W, Richland county

Sent from my iPod