[wisb] Spotted Towhee

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 19:33:22 -0500

As Chris mentioned I ventured over to the Muscoda area late this
morning to try for the Spotted Towhee at Dick and Christine Ouren's
home.  Two minutes after I had arrived the Spotted showed up with
several Eastern Towhees too.  They also have a nice variety of other
birds coming to their feeders.  A BIG THANKS TO BOTH DICK AND
CHRISTINE FOR ALLOWING ME TO COME AND ENJOY THE TOWHEE.  THEY COULD
NOT HAVE BEEN NICER.  The towhees put on a real fine show, along with
the other species (about 25).
Any one going over to Muscoda from the east, do NOT take Hwy 60 thru
Arlington or west of Sauk City.  It is under construction and the
Sauk City to Spring Green has a long detour.

On the way home I stopped at the V pond.  There were about 60 Golden
Plovers and 1 Black-bellied Plover towards the east end.

I checked Horicon Marsh along 49 in a light rain.  The east pond had
13 shorebird species, that included about 140 Long-billed Dowitchers,
110 Stilt Sandpipers, 10 White-rumped Sandpipers, etc.  The poor
lighting made it a challenge, although most birds were quite close to
the road.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI