[wisb] Spark Bird

  • From: Kelly Rueckheim <rueckel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:20:52 +0000

My spark bird wasn't actually a bird.  It was a place and a person.  In 5th
grade our class trip was to the International Crane Foundation.  Most of my
classmates thought it was boring, but I was amazed by all the different species
of cranes.  I took a picture of every single bird there.   After that, I had a
fleeting interest throughout high school.  I remember seeing four Short Eared
Owls in the fields by our house.  One landed on our driveway, allowing us to
get some really great looks.   I truely became a birder after taking an
Ornithology class with Dr. Rosenfield at UW Stevens Point.  That was when I
really discovered the joy of birding.  The next summer I took a  job doing
point counts in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and the rest is history.

Kelly Rueckheim, Hillsboro, Vernon County####################