[wisb] Southern Kettle Moraine SF - Waukesha and Walworth Ctys

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 23:23:38 -0500

Paula Stich and I started the day in the Southern Kettle Moraine at the
Scuppernong Trails spot where the PRAIRIE WARBLER has been found; we were
able to listen to him sing quite a bit, but didn't get any looks at him, not
for a lack of trying.  While there we heard many HOODED WARBLERS and
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS, a few ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS, BLACK-THROATED GREEN
WARBLERS, PINE WARBLERS, and on the way out heard and saw a straggling
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER.
We then tried for the Kentucky Warbler at Lime Kiln Trail, but I think we
were a bit late in the day to hear him, as we didn't get there till about
11:00.  We did however have a good look at a Hooded Warbler and another
Blackburnian; we also heard a VEERY, a BROAD-WINGED HAWK, MOURNING WARBLER,
and a very confusing bird which kept us guessing, but we finally pinned it
was a Pine Warbler which was able to make three separate types of
vocalizations, and was very good at mimicking a cardinal and Kentucky
Warbler.

We then took a quick stroll along the Ice Age Trail along the west side of
Lake LaGrange, where we found the typical species found in scrub habitat.
We ended the day at Beaver Dam Lake along Cty Hwy CI where we watched the
RED-NECKED GREBE pair building a nest.

All in all, a very nice day in the Southern Kettle Moraine.

--
Cheers!

Tim Hahn
New Berlin, WI