[wisb] Snowy Owl and Purple Sandpiper at north of Bradford Beach

  • From: Sidney Hamm <sidney.hamm@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:28:42 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,
As a new birder and also to wisbirdn I have been following the comments posted
for the bird sightings on Milwaukee harbor. Thanks everyone for your comments,
location and times. One question, where is the petroleum pier-is it north or
south of Milwaukee River outlet?

On 12/31/2011 I was north of Bradford Beach and met a few wisbirdrs. I had
taken some bird photos and Chris Petherick pointed out the Harlequin Duck and
the Purple Sandpiper. I took some more photos, but the Harlequin Duck stayed
way out in the choppy waves even though I got photos. I didn't see the Snowy
Owl. Photos of the Purple Sandpiper can be seen at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/hammsidney/PurpleSandpiper

On 1/3/2012 I was at South Shore Park and finally saw the Snowy Owl. Also, met
Jim Edhuber who was looking for the Snowy Owl, but it appears that it took off
and could not be found. Photos of the Snowy Owl can be seen at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/hammsidney/Identification

Question, has anyone seen a Snowy Owl that is nearer to photograph-at the
McKinley or Lakeshore State Park? Jim Edhuber mentioned he had seen one at the
Express parking area after he left South Shore Park-was that nearer, Jim?

Also, where seems to be the best place and time to see the Harlequin to
photograph?

Thanks all-

Sid Hamm,  Muskego,WI,  Waukesha County