[wisb] Re: Snowy Owl, Ozaukee Cty,

  • From: Joan Sommer <jsommer2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 14:15:20 -0600

Hi,

This bird is literally in my backyard. About 2 miles from my house.

Today, I have seen it twice. Marilyn Bontly and Kathy Gallick spotted it first
sitting right up against the milking parlor of the large dairy operation just
west of Hwy KK on Meadowlark. meadowlark is an easy-west road that intersects
with hwy 57 about 5 miles north of saukville. or a mile south of fredonia.

The milking parlor is the east-most building of the complex. When first seen
today it was on the southeast corner of the building. After running some
errands, I drove by on my way home and found the bird still on the east side of
the milking parlor but sitting further north. Right next to the walk in
entrance! Next thing it will probably be inside!

The three of us had an interesting conversation with the farm owner who had
noticed the bird yesterday sitting on top of a small trailer east of the
milking parlor. He originally thought there might be something wrong with the
bird but we assured him that it seemed okay.

He was also interested in finding out how to discourage starlings. There were
of course a large number hanging out where the cows and heifers were being fed.
He and his workers actively shoot starlings and one of his hired hands took
down several while we were there.

looks like it is going to be a great winter for viewing snowies.

joan Sommer
n. ozaukee county