[wisb] Snowy Owl Buena Vista Grasslands

  • From: "Phillip L. Billings" <plbillings@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:11:01 -0600

It was a nice day for a drive to Buena Vista seeking the Snowy Owl seen in the
area.  We found hundreds of Sandhill Cranes in the fields, three Bald Eagles
and numerous Red-tailed Hawks.  Midmorning we found the Snowy Owl at the corner
of County W and County D (Alpine Rd).  Over a half hour it was seen in a tree,
on a sign, in the middle of the road, and finally it perched on an irrigation
unit well out in a field east of this corner..  This bird does not allow close
approach in a car or on foot easily.  Plan on looking at this one with a scope
at a good distance.
To see images from this trip to Buena Vista, so to:

http://www.photographyinourtime.com/recent.html

Phil Billings
Dane County
Oregon, Wisconsin