[wisb] Re: Snowy Owl Brown/Kewaunee County-YES_ also birds at Bay Beach wildlife sanctuary

  • From: Sharon Reilly <reillyhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:47:27 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

It's been great reading about all of the snowy owls in Wisconsin this year. I
haven't seen any myself. Anyone have tips on where to see in Baraboo, Sauk
County area. Thanks.

Also a bit of other snowy owl news. It's a strange year for snowy's everywhere
and some very disturbing news as well. Did you hear about the snowy owl that
was SHOT in Hawaii, because it happened to show up at the airport. As someone
who worked in Hawaii, it was a constant struggle with the airport SAFETY
personnel to take a more humane approach to wildlife management at the
airports.

Maybe if enough people who love snowy's shows their outrage, things might
changes. The tourist industry has so much pull in the state, sometimes when
tourists complain the state officials actually LISTEN. One way to express your
outrage would be to reconsider vacationing HI until the state starts doing a
better job of protecting its native wildlife and other natural migratory
species.

Snowy Owl Shot in HAWAII!!

http://io9.com/5878839/a-snowy-owl-makes-the-trip-from-the-arctic-to-hawaii-where-it-is-promptly-shot

Sharon (Baraboo, Sauk county)