[wisb] Snowy Milwaukee Ferry N. Area

  • From: "Spencer Stehno" <pensacola634@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 19:10:48 -0600

Milwaukee County - High Speed Ferry Area - Coast Guard Impoundment -
Petroleum Pier - Mooring Basin on E. Bay St. 4:15 PM
It was a gray & windy night.. Was taking a "flier" hoping that I could see
some Franklin Gulls possibly by Ferry landing. At 4:30 PM Drove into high
speed ferry on E/W ferry driveway towards east end car-line-up lanes for
ferry. There is a "landfill" weedy area to the north of the driveway. Snowy
Owl was flying E/W on other side of fence back & forth hunting, and then
went north out of sight. I then went to N side of this area, and found &
watched it sitting on sea-wall, then it flew over to hillock and I left it
sitting there about 5 PM.
There is also a "Mooring Basin" on the Kinnickinnic River at the end of East
Bay Street. This has been loaded with C. geese and mallards and a few
gulls, but tonight was packed wall to wall for some reason at sunset, in the
water, on the walls, and on the gravel. No other species seem to be mixed
in. There was one goose that was huge sticking its head up higher than my
hood, and he wasn't backing off! Whew!

Over on the Fuel Pier were RB gulls and 3 DC Cormorants. In water between
them and Snowy Owl landfill were scoters but too dark & choppy for me to ID
them further, and other water fowl of some kind diving against pilings on N.
landfill wall.

Spence Stehno

Oconomowoc