[wisb] Snowies this winter.

  • From: Dave Freriks <dhfreriks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 06:43:21 -0600

     William J. mentioned that the lemming population might be way down this
year which is entirely possible. I did read a report on another list that
Snowies had a really good breeding year this year. Not sure of the validity of
that report, but it's possible that a higher than normal population on their
normal haunts is pushing some birds south as well. Hopefully there is truth to
that report.  Either way, it's looking to be a good winter for people in our
area to get out and see these magnificent birds!  In talking to non-birders and
beginning birders  while watching and photography both the Sheboygan and
Horicon Snowies, and also in times past,  I don't think there is a better bird
out there that the average person will notice and be as excited to see.  This
gives all of us a chance to help get more people  turned on to our hobby and
also to be aware of the need for bird and habitat conservation in general.
   Assuming that they stay around,  the bird in Sheboygan is readily viewable
from the harbor and there is a viewing deck that allows good views of the
harbor at the main building by boat storage. It flew around a lot while we were
there and it was not overly concerned with fishermen on the piers or boats
nearby in the water.  The birds at Horicon were very close in to the road
yesterday and as long as everyone stays in their vehicle they will pay no
attention to you. They were about 3/4 of the way down Dike Rd on the right hand
side yesterday morning spending most of their time sitting on muskrat lodges.
Good numbers of other raptors around as well.  We don't get a chance to every
year to readily view these birds......take a drive  and see them if you like
and consider bringing a non birding friend or two! Especially young people! I
was at a presentation last evening and in talking to a lady next to me, she was
really concerned that they were having a hard time getting any younger people
to attend the meetings or field trips.       I did get more photos yesterday at
Horicon,  haven't had time to go through them yet. If anyone is interested just
check my pbase site out in a day or two.
Dave FreriksS. Ohio/ Saukville WI
www.pbase.com/dhfreriks/new_photos