[wisb] Shorebird turnover at Harvey/Wangsness Rds. (Columbia)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:02:27 -0500

I checked Harvey Rd. on my way up to Oshkosh late this morning, and again this
evening on my way back to Madison. Interesting how much things can change in
the course of a day.  The pond north of Hwy 60 on the east side had most of the
usual suspects this morning, including a couple of Stilt Sandpipers (no
phalaropes, though.)  I also hadn't realized just how many shorebirds are on
the WEST side, in the flooded corn, until a female No. Harrier flushed them.
So that might be worth checking if you're there in the morning, looking away
from the sun.

This evening, Harvey and 60 had many more Semi-palm SPs, no Stilt SPs, but now
two SB Dowitchers.  Many of the Leasts and Lesser YLs took off and headed south
while I was there.  I went down to Harvey and Wangsness - the pond east of
Harvey and south of DM had a dozen Great Egrets, hundreds of Sandhill Cranes,
and some shorebirds, including several Greater YLs.  I headed east on
Wangsness, and found Jesse Ellis and Anya scoping the grassy area, which
appeared devoid of birds.  But Jesse gave a "thumbs up," so I assumed they must
have found a Buffie, which they had.  It was way back at the northeast edge in
the grass, and was definitely hard to see at times.  Shorebirds were also
flying over, heading south, at that location.  (The Doppler is lit up tonight,
despite the south winds.)

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.