[wisb] Sharpie, Bald Eagles

  • From: Rory Cameron <rory_cameron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird Net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:24:08 -0600

I often carry binoculars on my four block walk to and from work.  Sometimes the
effort pays off.

Today, while walking home for lunch, I spotted five Bald Eagles soaring high
overhead, three mature and two immature.  As interesting and exciting as this
was, at the same location yesterday at about the same time, a Sharp-shinned
Hawk gave me good looks as it flew near the tree tops.  It perched for a while,
then flew again, suddenly pirouetting and landing in the upper part of a tree.
Apparently, another bird joined it for lunch. (We have a surplus of starlings,
but I couldn't id the lunch partner.)  This is the best look I've had of a
sharpie.  I've seen three sharpies at this location in the past six weeks.  The
five Bald Eagles are the most I've seen at one time in Chippewa County.

Rory Cameron
Chippewa Falls

"We come and go, but the land is always here. And the people who love it and
understand it are the people who own it—for a little while."   Willa Cather