[wisb] Re: SNOW GEESE??

  • From: Mary Cullen <contrarymary53058@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: A-WI birding group contact <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:16:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,
First, Thank you all for your replies to my post.  I guess I should have
shared more of my observations of the geese with you...

            In regards
to size, these birds were much smaller than American white pelicans.  The
flock flew overhead in a tight V-pattern
and was only about 30-40 feet above me. I heard no flight calls while within
earshot.  They flew with continuous, quick wingbeats like Canada
geese do.  Iâ??ve observed pelicans in Horicon, and their flight style is
different, even when flapping their wings.  The geese had  outstretched
necks in flight in comparison to the pelicansâ?? bent necks.  There was no
black on the trailing edge of the wing.  Only the primaries were black,
whereas pelicans have black primaries and secondaries.   Pelicans have very
deep, heavy
bodies, but these birds had smaller, stockier bodies.  Bill size rules out
pelicans as well.

Sure makes for an interesting summer....

Mary Cullen
Nashotah, Waukesha

From: "Mary Cullen" <contrarymary53058@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Jun 24, 2011 11:40
Subject: [wisb] SNOW GEESE???
To: "A-WI birding group contact" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
Say....
 could someone tell me what birds have black wingtips, white elsewhere,
fly in V-formation, make no flight calls and are goose size and shape.�
There wereabout fifteen birds flying east, roughly 30 ft. above
tree-tops. The gentleman I happened to be with ID'd them as snow geese!�
 Am I seeing things that are not there?!