[wisb] Ross's Goose, Kewaunee - YES; Snowy Owl, B-K Line Road - NO

  • From: "Petrashek, Kari Lynne" <PETRKL10@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:28:26 +0000

My husband and I took a drive out to the Brown/Kewaunee County line today to
try and find the Snowy Owl, but had no luck.  There were about 10 HORNED LARKS
in a nearby field however.  We continued on toward Kewaunee Harbor and on the
way spotted three AMERICAN KESTRELS.  At the harbor, we found the single ROSS'S
GOOSE just south of the pier and lighthouse, among a large group of Canada
Geese.  Also in the water were two SNOW GEESE, MALLARDS, a very large group of
COMMON GOLDENEYE with COMMON MERGANSERS among them, and a single male NORTHERN
PINTAIL.
The Ross's Goose is a lifer for me - I was able to get a few pictures, through
I can't say much for the quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kari_lynne/6778245111/in/photostream/

Also, yesterday I went with a group of friends to 1000 Islands Nature Center in
Kaukauna, Outagamie County.  We stopped at two locations on near the Fox River.
 At the first stop on County Z, we counted 32 BALD EAGLES and at the second
stop (looking into a stand o hardwoods beyond a Veal Farm on County ZZ) we
estimated 70 to 80 Bald Eagles.  More than half of the Eagles were in the air
at any time, making counting difficult, but it was certainly a sight to see!

Kari Hagenow
Green Bay, Brown County