[wisb] Rieck's Lake, Buffalo County

  • From: Rory Cameron <rory_cameron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird Net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:29:48 -0600

I went to Rieck's Lake yesterday with friends Anne Geraghty and Emily Johnson
where we found an immature Black-crowned Night Heron (foy!).  Also, a Snow
Goose flying just behind the lead bird in a flock of 50 Canada Geese; American
Wigeon, Gadwalls, Green-winged Teal, Northern Shovelers, Wood Ducks, Tundra
Swans, American Tree Sparrows, and other birds.  We also found Tundra Swans, GW
Teal, Wilson's Snipe, Killdeer, Gadwall in the vicinity of Tell Lake.  Further
north on Hwy 37 we found our first of season Northern Shrike.  Some Golden
Eagles are back, but we didn't find any, probably because we didn't visit their
habitat.  We are looking forward to the Golden Eagle count in January.
We checked out Reed's Landing and Lake City, MN, but there were few birds other
than gulls and coots.
Rory Cameron
Chipewa Falls, Chippewa County

"We come and go, but the land is always here. And the people who love it and
understand it are the people who own it?for a little while."   Willa Cather