[wisb] Results 2010 Horicon Marsh Bird festival

  • From: Jeffrey Bahls <jbahls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:53:54 -0500

First I want to THANK everyone who made the event a success, Partners,
Horicon Marsh Bird Club, Horicon Marsh State wildlife area, Horicon NWR,
Marsh Haven Nature center and Blue Heron Landing. planners,sponsers,guides
and those who took part in our 13th annual event.
 155 species were indentifed for this years 4 day event.
Highlights; Am. avocet, whooping crane, glossy and White faced ibis,
trumpeter swan, peregrine falcon, Black necked stilt, osprey and bald eagle
made the Horicon Marsh Bird fest list. An Upland sandpiper was spotted for
the first time during the festival.
Warblers were hard to come by this year as cold,rainy weather held the bulk
of the warblers,flycatchers and vireos to our south. Of course the stars of
this years event were the glossy and whited faced ibises. Having the 2 rare
species in the scope that close and have them hang around the whole
festival. It makes me look like a genuis! but we know THAT is not the case.
My fav fest bird was the upland sandpiper who was along the Dike road for 2
days. It was a Wisconsin bird for me and only 2nd time I've seen one. It was
funny someone had asked me about uppies earlier in the day. My reply was
back in 1970 maybe.... 2 hours later....
This years hot spot was Hwy 49 with birds changing by the hours, partly
because of a couple prergrine falcons on the hunt and the winds that moved
birds in.
Weather: friday and sat were "challenging" rain and wind . Once Daryl Tessen
was done guiding, things settled down :)  Daryl and Dennis Gustafson along
with Brad Webb lead a record breaking trip Sat with 119 species on that
tour.
It goes to show what a great place Horicon is, with enough eyes and time
what can be seen there and we only cover the edges of the marsh!
Again THANK YOU!
If any one has comments,suggestions on how we can make next years event even
better, drop me a line
Jeff Bahls
Lowell Wi
Dodge county

President Horicon Marsh Bird Club and  Festival chairman.