[wisb] Red-headed Woodpeckers and Red-eyed Vireo Marquette Co. 11/7/15, some images...

  • From: Jim Edlhuber <jimedlhuber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 20:39:54 -0600

Hi all,
I did some birding in Marquette County today. I always enjoy watching the
Red-headed Woodpeckers working from sun up to sun down storing food for the
winter. They get acorns from live oak trees, break them up in pockets of
dead trees and bury the pieces within dead trees or under bark of dead
trees. They store these pieces for winter food no matter how deep the snow
is, it will always be available. They always seem to store the pieces in
trees near nest holes that will probably be used in spring for raising the
young. I have a water hole I watch and two of the highlights today were a
Brown Creeper and a Red-eyed Vireo. The Red-eyed Vireo is listed as a RARE
bird for this date in Marquette Co. Other common birds gave nice shows
which is always a treat.

Some of the images from the event today at this link if you care to view
them:

http://www.windowtowildlife.com/red-headed-woodpeckers-and-other-birds-in-marquette-county-wisconsin-on-november-7-2015/

Thanks and good birding,

Jim Edlhuber