[wisb] Recent Twin Ports sightings with photos

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mnbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, MOU List <mou-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 14:56:19 -0500

Wisconsin happenings...
This morning my friend Lizzie and I birdwatched throughout Wisconsin Point,
covering the Superior Landfill, "Lot 1," the lighthouse pullout, and the
Superior Entry.
At the Superior Landfill, we were treated to many Herring Gulls. After
about 20 minutes of enjoying the gulls, we were able to pick out 1 juvenile
GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL, 3 juvenile THAYER'S GULLS and 1 juvenile GLAUCOUS
GULL.
At Lot 1, we observed one Bald Eagle, three Common Loons, a Common
Merganser and Green-winged Teal.
Ring-billed and Herring Gulls could be seen throughout the lighthouse
pullout and Superior Entry. One BLACK SCOTER was observed flying past.

Herring Gull this morning
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139264478

Minnesota happenings...
This past week at Hawk Ridge has been relatively slow raptor-wise due to
the lack of front movement. We have been getting some great views of
Rough-legged Hawks, Red-tailed Hawks, Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles and
Northern Goshawk (all the primary species seen this time of year). One of
the biggest highlights was from two days ago... Over 16,000 Common Redpolls
were tallied that day up here in Duluth! As the count interpreter up at
Hawk Ridge, I've been pointing out Red Crossbills, White-winged Crossbills,
Snow Buntings and Common Redpolls daily for over a week.

Adult male Merlin
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139241891
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139241893

White-breasted Nuthatch being banded at Hawk Ridge
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139241904

Common Redpoll Flock at the ridge
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139241887

Rough-legged Hawk in-hand
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139208450
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139141931

Red-tailed Hawks
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139208452

This past Monday I was at the end of Park Point a few minutes to sunrise.
The most surprising finds of the morning were two shorebirds very far out
over the water. I only got tail-views of them as they flew further away.
Through the scope, I could tell that they were smaller than the
large-plovers (American Golden & Black-bellied Plovers), yet larger than
the tiny peeps. Not sure what they were! A few handfulls of Common Redpolls
moved through that morning too.

Sunrise along the waves
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139180997

American Tree Sparrow
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139180984

Ring-billed Gull (first one is mottled in dark tones... very pretty gull!)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139180989
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139180990

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Bird photography and guided birdwatching trips
www.pbase.com/birdfedr